Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kanstul tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam on July 04, 2003 at 00:36:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kanstul tubas? posted by Title on July 03, 2003 at 20:57:44:

"One rests on your shoulder while you perform great music and work your tail off...
One sits in your lap while you perform great music and sit on your tail..."

When I was a wee lad I marched in a drum and bugle corps. I still support the activity and occasionally go to a show, but I also play in a military band now. To compare what I did as a young teenager to what I did in later years in order to get a job playing tuba... there is no comparison.

Most of the music performed in DCI is crap. Maybe it used to be good music, but they almost always take it and mutate it into something lesser. A few flat 7 chords here, some randomly inserted silent bars there with a pretty young man throwing a fake rifle up in the air followed by an uncontrollably loud brass entrance...

I respect DCI for what it is: an entertaining way for young people to get excited about music. Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but to elevate the drum corps activity while seemingly playing down serious tuba playing just irks me.

Adam Crowe

Follow Ups: