Re: Tuba jobs that aren't going to die

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on July 04, 2003 at 17:32:15:

In Reply to: Tuba jobs that aren't going to die posted by The Sock on July 03, 2003 at 23:30:00:

I did the military thing and enjoyed it for the most part. It was a decent living and some of the people I worked with are dear friends for life.

After the military, I hustled and put together my own bands and booked my own gigs (Polka bands, brass quintet, dixie bands, etc.), and again, made a decent living while putting myself through undergraduate school in tuba performance.

In Graduate school (tuba performance), I was a marching band grad assistant and found a new calling in life. I found that I loved being a band director, especially at the college level.

Now, after teaching a few years in the public schools, at a few small colleges, and completing my doctorate, I am finally getting the job I have been dreaming about. I will be directing concert and marching bands at Pittsburg State University and teaching tuba to 6-8 majors, hopefully I'll build the studio even larger in the not to distant future. I won't be getting rich, but its a good living with good benefits.

Point being, I found a job that fits me perfectly. Unless I do a crappy job, it will be there for me as long as I want.

Don't be discouraged as music major. While full time orchestral jobs are becoming rarer all the time and the competition is getting better, all is not so bleak. There are plenty of ways to make a living as a musician, but it will remain difficult if all your focus is on a major symphony gig.

The happiest musicians I know are those who play in professional regional orchestras. Often the pay in these groups is fairly poor, but the time commitment is minimal. Take the principal horn player of the Boise Philharmonic for example, with the combined symphony pay, small studio of students and some adjunct teaching at the local university, she makes a good living and has plenty of time to do other "stuff." Not a bad life.

Lastly, there is always a need for music educators. I know one middle school band director in LA who is a regular in the LA recording studios. He may not work every week in the studio, but the royalty checks just keep coming.

There will always be work for decent musicians, but you have to make your own opportunities.

Follow Ups: