Re: Learning Trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 08, 2003 at 13:07:09:

In Reply to: Learning Trombone posted by Bill on July 07, 2003 at 18:07:42:

In addition to any other advice you get, I'd offer these:

1) Use a very different oral cavity shape, not nearly as open. Your tongue should be a little higher, like if you were saying "eehhhhh", not "oohhhhh".

2) Find a choral group to sing in. You will be playing interior parts rather than just the low note, and that takes a whole different approach. Singing in a choir will help you to train your ear apart from the technical demands of the trombone.

3) Don't rush the high range. Expect to start with the notes on the staff, and add a half step a week for the first 4-6 weeks. After that it will slow down, but within six months or so you should have the high Bb.

4) (Others will disagree with this one, but I think I'm in a solid majority) Don't let the corners of your embouchure go up. The airstream is controlled far more with your air and embouchure on a trombone, since there is very little resistance. This has to be done with firm corners, proper tongue placement, and proper use of air. If you can't play a note without "smiling" (or mashing your lips), you aren't ready to play it yet.

Have you already bought a trombone? If so, tell us about the horn and your plans for playing; if not, tell us what kind of stuff you want to play. You will probably get some good suggestions for instruments here.

Joe Baker, whose tromone was repaired by Joe S. last thursday, and who is esctatic with the results.

Follow Ups: