Re: Neilson 4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Justin on July 09, 2003 at 23:08:38:

In Reply to: Neilson 4 posted by Chuck Jackson on July 09, 2003 at 22:47:00:

I once had an eccentric conductor (unusual huh?) for Pictures and he wanted a thinner, more 'shallow' I guess, tone for Bydlo. The CC was too big and he didn't like the F either so I borrowed a friend's euphonium and he liked that sound. So whenever I get a call to play for him, I always remember to keep my buddy's number handy... I have used the euph with a couple other pieces with satisfying results... satisfying to the man with the wand but as a tuba player, it was actually pretty difficult. I used a generic small shank tuba mouthpiece... its a weird feeling but the conductor was pleased. I have done some other weird things with the euphonium in an orchestra setting but sometimes I feel that the sound that results closely resembles that of the older French C tuba you mentioned in your post below. I'm not sure this is related to your posting or not but it does pertain to the certain 'flavor' of the French music. My suggestion is asking your principal trombone what he/she thinks and if that doesn't work, talk with your conductor. Good luck with the Neilson... its a killer!

Best,
Justin

Follow Ups: