Re: BBb Opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on July 12, 2003 at 08:42:25:

In Reply to: BBb Opinion posted by MP on July 11, 2003 at 12:54:54:

The best tuba, intonation-wise and ease-of-playing-wise, can be had in one package, but is no cheaper than a CC of the same caliber.
The best over all that I've played is the Bayreuth Model Rudolf Meinl 5/4 BBb. It has interchangeable leadpipes, a 2nd valve slide trigger, and is available with 5 valves. The list price is in the $13K range. The valves are incredibly quiet and fast for a horn that big, and the response and tone are exquisite. With one of these instruments you don't have to compromise anything, and it only costs money ;^)
Rudolf Meinl's 4/4 BBb tuba could be special-ordered with a 5th valve, has much of the qualities of the larger instrument, and could be had for about $10K.
Hirsbrunner also makes fairly comparable instruments at fairly comparable prices. The Melton (Meinl-Weston) models 197 and 200 are also quite good, and probably cost a little less. Willson makes a great BBb - my recent experience working on Willsons in my shop shows their instruments to be exquisitely crafted.
There are lots of other good options, but only a lot of shopping and play-testing will tell you what is best for you.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: