Re: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on July 13, 2003 at 17:51:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Favorite Quintet Horn posted by Chuck Jackson on July 13, 2003 at 17:21:03:

Chuck,
The 32 is the MW "standard" 4/4 rotary CC. The 37 is the Bill Bell model. The anniversary model of the Bill Bell had a detachable bell and can still be custom ordered that way from what I remember. The newer Bell models are all fixed bells. The MW32 is a .748 bore horn with a 17 3/4" bell. The throat is bigger than a Mirafone and plays more like an Alex then the Mirafone's and other "German" rotary valve CC's. Dillon's usually keeps a few 32's around as does Dave Fedderly. I pick up mine from Dillon's with a nickle silver leadpipe and extended tuning slide. I agree with Mark that it is very flexible and built to handle a wide variety of playing. Best of all the are priced fairly well and built very solidly. On mine the rotors work great and the scale is pretty decent. The low register is very up front. For a 4/4 horn, they seem to have a very wide dynamic range and with the nickle silver leadpipe, the articulation and response seems a little better.

The Bell models are nice also, but the bore is a wee bit small (.689) so the dynamic range tends to suffer a bit. However, these Bell models are probably some of the most agile CC's one can find. This seems to be the horn of choice for contrabass soloing if one were doing so. However, they just aren't all that popular and are pretty rare to come by.

Matt G

Follow Ups: