Re: Re: Re: 641 euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by k on July 16, 2003 at 00:39:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 641 euphonium posted by hirsbrunner euph on July 15, 2003 at 23:37:40:

One piece bell is a term referring to the production method.

The first place I read about it was in a catalogue over Vincent Bach Stradivarius trumpets and trombones. On the lacquered versions of these one can see, that the bells are cut in one piece and assembled along a single seam running from ferrule to bell rim. Some ascribe the special "non-breaking-up" qualities of the Stradivarius fff to these bells.

I have not seen lacquered Besson Sovereign eups, but I remember a B&H Imperial, where one could see, that its bell was made of 3 pieces: the stack, the large part of the the flare, and a triangular insert in the flare.

None of the Besson Sovereigns, that I have tried, had the qualities, that made me buy the YEP641. I might be wrong, but I ascribe the very stable loud dynamics of the 641 to the way its bell is made.

The YEP641 is the only low brass, which Yamaha has told to have a one piece bell. It is said to be an expensive way to make bells, so that might be the reason, that the never Yamaha pro euphs don't have that feature.

My source for the YEP641 and the Willsons being the only euphs with one piece bells is Glenn Call of Rochester. He is or has been a Yamaha clinician/artist. He has played the 641 and now plays the 642. He has visited several European brass makers, among these Hirsbrunner and Willson.

"Aside from the Willsons it is the only pro-level euph, which has a one piece bell" in my reading does not say anything about euphs having bells made out of two or more pieces not being pro-level. On the contrary it says, that there are more of them, but that the Willsons and the YEP641 form their own sub-category among pro-level euphs, when it comes to the parameter of how the bell was made.

The Yamaha description and specs of the YEP641 can be read from the catalogue scans announced higher up the main bill board.

After all owners of the YEP641 form a minority among euphers, but I stand by my expressing, that I like my sample of that model, slides uncut as it still is. And I would have liked you to stand by you identity. There are many euphers in California.

Klaus

Follow Ups: