Re: valve job -how much,how good, how long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on July 19, 2003 at 14:55:22:

In Reply to: valve job -how much,how good, how long posted by Kenneth Sloan on July 19, 2003 at 13:15:07:

Ken,

About a week ago I dropped my Holton 345 off to Dan Oberloh to have the valves redone. He's sending the valves and valve section to Anderson. I was told to expect about 8 weeks before I'd have the horn back. I don't know how much of that time is at Anderson, and how much at Dan's shop. He's doing a few other minor items as well, like installing nylon guides, machining some nickel stems, etc. Once this "phase" is complete, the only stage left will be to have the horn plated or re-finished.

I'll put up a post after I've had it back for a while and let you know if it was money wel spent, and what differences (if any) I can notice.

That will cover "worn and leaking". As to basic alignment, one of the first things that Dan fixed on this very horn was to correct the throw of the valves. Somewhere before the horn got to me, a shop/repairman had replaced the valve stems with ones that were slightly off. There was a huge difference in intonation and playability once this was corrected. So, in my experience, correcting an observable alignment problem is money well spent.

Tony E

Follow Ups: