Re: Re: Re: Best, Current Tuba Professors?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Miller on July 20, 2003 at 20:09:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Best, Current Tuba Professors? posted by I wouldn't try Floyd on July 19, 2003 at 22:16:43:

Um...with first-hand experience, I would say that Floyd is NOT a natural player and actually had to work hard to get to his level. He was always interested in studying with Mr. Jacobs and would integrate the newly learned ideas into his playing as soon as possible.

Floyd taught me many things about how to play the tuba...and not just musical things. Yes, I learned a ton by listening to him, but as most students of Floyd will tell you, he would just play a few notes...mostly to teach you attacks and maybe a slur trick or two.

And, Mr. Cooley is a very generous, kind man and teacher. If ANY of my students have ever enjoyed studying with me, it is a direct result of the way Floyd taught. He was very positive and motivational to me. If you did something great, the man would practically do a handstand! If it wasn't great, he'd get you to that level...soon.

I would highly recommend Floyd as a teacher...always have since I studied with him...that is if you can get accepted.

Follow Ups: