Re: I'd like to share this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on July 20, 2003 at 21:18:37:

In Reply to: I'd like to share this... posted by Jay on July 20, 2003 at 01:18:40:

sounds like you are more into the jazz and "pop" style of tuba rather than a "classical" style. Chances are your teacher at a college is not into the jazz scene and is teaching from a "classical" perspective. Perhaps you would want to go to a school with more of a jazz approach. Or perhaps the teacher could help you with some other things. Talk to him about it and see what he says. I would guess that you wouldn't get too many colege or orchrestral gigs with a jazz style of sound, so If that is the focus of the college you are at then you are probalby in the wrong place. Or should I say the studetn you were refering to uis i the wrong place.
I never thought much about the difference of sounds betweenthe two styles becuase when you hear a guy like Sam Pilafian who can do both styles he still has a big fat sound when he plays the jazz stuff (same for the guy who plays the "Play That Country Tuba" solo). On the other hand Howard Johnson definitely has a jazz sound that would not necessarily fit in a classical setting. Same for the sousa player in the dirty dozen brass band (sorry don't know his name off the top of my head).
ken k

Follow Ups: