Re: Sousa pads,R&S Helleberg II, misc.drivel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on July 22, 2003 at 12:16:03:

In Reply to: Sousa pads,R&S Helleberg II, misc.drivel posted by SHS Tubamaster on July 22, 2003 at 11:49:07:

As far as padding, you have some generic options besides the yamaha pad set that may cost less. I have used the yamahas on king horns, and have worked. The question may well come down to confort, as I have had students beg not to use the shoulder pad due to where the end of the pad catches the neck. (usually only on the large neck kind of people).

I almost swear by the bottom pads for horn protection. For some people, the shoulder pad is not as confortable as they like. This depends as much on the angle of the horn as it lays across the shoulder as it does the placement of the pad (as mentioned above).

As far as mouthpieces, I find that many of my students feel better on bach 18's and 24 aw's than the more helleberg shaped rim mouthpieces, as far as getting some more rim and projection. As most sousaphone parts don't go down as low as we real men can play, I usually allow for some sacrifice in law range production to get more projection in what they are doing. To each their own maybe.....

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: