Re: Re: AFM & Canada

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Kutz on July 23, 2003 at 10:02:43:

In Reply to: Re: AFM & Canada posted by LV on July 22, 2003 at 20:11:51:

I would like to make a few comments regarding this before it becomes a "bash Canada" thread. I have worked for about seven years in the US, and had my fair share of detainments, inquisitions and etc. There have even been two occasions where I was not allowed to audition because I was Canadian (even though the AFM reciprocal agreement guarantees job visas for one year after winning the position). The AFM, through their reciprocal agreements (US and Can) are able to make the conditions of crossing the border much easier, setting up certain conditions and etc. The problem is that once you have done all of the paperwork (Visas and contracts that are approved, paid for and filed), there is still NO GUARANTEE that you will be let through without a hassle. The border patrol is an entity that has few powers above them. If you arrive at the border with a tuba or etc, and explain to them that you are playing…presenting the proper documentation, it should not be a problem. Then again, it might.
As the world climate changes, each government reacts by protecting itself. In turn, governments that are closely related (i.e. Canada to the US) react in turn. I remember my first trip to play in the US when my immigration lawyer said “don’t be surprised if they turn you back…they do that on occasion to keep the balances checked”. Well, I wasn’t turned around but, I was certainly aware of the ramifications of trying to get in “on the fly”.
I cannot comment on what the previous post called a "purge" in Windsor as I do not play there, but knowing that a majority of the players there are freelance (temporary), it would not be too uncommon to make changes to benifit local players, on either side of the border.

Be well, DK

Follow Ups: