Re: Snoring Treatment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on July 24, 2003 at 08:38:31:

In Reply to: Snoring Treatment posted by Phil on July 24, 2003 at 08:18:58:

What is the medical reason for this surgery? It sounds like you have sleep apnea. Obviously you would want to exhaust all possible interventions befor surgery. I myself sleep with a CPAP, and have found that it helps with my energy. Have you had a sleep study done?

I would ask very specific questions of the surgeon as to how long it would be before you play. The doctor is only looking at your medical concerns. Most doctors do not understand what it is to be a brass player, so you may want to schedule an appointment before the surgery, so the doctor understands your lifestyle better.

In 1996 I had surgery done to drain my sinuses. Polyps were removed and a deviated septum was corrected at the same time. After the surgery the doctor told me he did not want me to play for six months. I could not live with this. After one month he asked me to bring my horn in to his office so he could check that tuba playing was not making me bleed. I actually had a quintet rehearsal one night before, and I knew I'd be OK. When I went in to the doctor's office, I played so loud that I am sure the lawyers who ad offices on the top floor could hear me. The doctor cleared me to play.

Currently, I have had another bad bout of sinus infections. Another ENT would like to drain my sinuses again. I asked before-hand how long it would be before I could play. He said a month.

Follow Ups: