3 rotary valve St Pete Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on July 29, 2003 at 11:24:49:

I played one of these last night. The owner bought it for $350 plus shipping, to play in the brass band. It is maybe a 1970 version. When he is on BBb tuba, he also plays a St Pete. I haven't played the BBb but the Eb was interesting. Really not as bad as I expected given the rep...it is very blatty, but the intonation wasn't any worse than any other 3 valve Eb I have played, and actually was far better than some. He was having trouble with the valved notes in the lower range...they were stuffy. That is, they didn't lock in, and you had to hit the right pitch with your chops and just make the tuba play that pitch.
heh.
Because I've grown accustomed to my 182 F tuba...I didn't have any trouble with his stuffy notes!! They were less stuffy than the 182 though. But it really made it clear that this "stuffy" problem is one of technique and skill. His stuffy notes were higher than the F tuba ones....the F on the bottom of the staff and thereabouts. It was an interesting exercise for me. Now we just have to see if we can find a way to un-blatt that thing.
Really, for a starter tuba, or one for somebody without major tuba $$ to spend, I think that one is fine. Suggestions for de-blatting are welcome. It is a small shank receiver.
MA

Follow Ups: