Re: Compensating vs Non Compensationing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 29, 2003 at 12:37:30:

In Reply to: Compensating vs Non Compensationing posted by Jim on July 28, 2003 at 18:45:16:

There is, to my knowledge, only ONE 4-valve compensating tuba that doesn't use the left hand for the fourth valve -- a problem, I suspect, considering your son's medical history.

Three valve compensators aren't that bad, but given two tubas that are otherwise of similar quality and condition, you'll pay more for a compensated 3-valve than a non-comp 4-valve. I'd generally suggest, based on that fact, going with the four-valve -- even more-so considering that the overall 'pitch target' in a Jr. High band is -er- wide.

One consideration no one has mentioned, though. If your son's ONLY interest in tuba is to play marching band, I'm not sure why you shouldn't just find whatever decent 3-banger non-comp he can hold the easiest and you can pay for the easiest. His marching band sousaphone will be 3-valves, and (as I've suggested) until then the pitch standard is not going to be such that he'll be able to do noticeably better on a four-valve instrument. If he's interested in becoming a more "complete" musician, then that is a different matter; but if he's just wanting to participate in marching, it doesn't need to be "just the right horn".

Joe Baker, who wonders if we're making this decision look harder than it needs to be.

Follow Ups: