Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan Williams - why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on July 30, 2003 at 14:12:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan Williams - why? posted by Tim I on July 30, 2003 at 09:48:18:

It seems like a strange request from an orchestra known for its Mahler interpretations. I have noticed that the Phil was getting a little more adventurous is programming concerti for instruments other than piano, violin and 'cello. With the orchestra crowd, a programmed trumpet concerto is still regarded as a "novelty". It's kinda dumb to have musicians work up music they'll never get to perform.
It's too bad they can't just give Kyle Turner the gig - I've heard him live more than once, and he sounds just fine to me - and I go back to William Bell (I was a young kid then) and Joe Novotny. I liked Warren Deck and Scott Mendoker, too. They all play great. I'm pretty sure none them ever got to perform the Vaughn Williams concerto, which amounts, unfortunately, to little more than a footnote as concertos go. No Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D for us, unfortunately (although the parts we get are great).

Follow Ups: