Re: The VW on BBb contrabass tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on July 30, 2003 at 19:50:03:

In Reply to: The VW on BBb contrabass tuba posted by Jim on July 30, 2003 at 17:38:54:

I think it's a fun piece to work on with any tuba. I never used to think much of it...but over time I've come to like it.

The BBb can absolutely be played cleanly within the upper range of the VW...just lots of practice. Some contrabass tubas have really beautiful voices above the staff. I was listening to Dan Oberloh play a very nice B&S F tuba the other day in the upper register, and I have to say, as gorgeous as the sound was, his CC Hirshy has a prettier sound above the staff. Don't know how else to say it...just prettier. But I remember thinking "you know, if I were a conductor, I'd ask him to use his CC for some of those usual F parts". And in fact, he has used his CC in some fine orchestras over the years to play some of those "F Tuba parts".

The tuba 1 part on Sotto Voce's recording "Consequences" is another great example. It's played throughout on a 4/4 CC. When you read the music, it looks like it should have been played by Euphonium 3! I'm also lucky enough to get to play in a quartet with board poster Chris B, who plays tuba 1, and dances around above staff for hours on his Miraphone 1291 BBb. Of course, his masters in Tuba performance probably didn't hurt in preparing him. Go figure...I'd be in the hospital for a week!

The bass tubas generally speak with less effort in this range, have better responsiveness, and on many pieces have a lighter/thinner character of sound which is critical.

But sure, work up the VW on your contra bass if thats what you have. You'll certainly be in good shape by the time you get it ready. Tuba players play pieces all the time composed for other instruments...surely we can use a contra bass to play something written for bass tuba.

Follow Ups: