Re: Re: Re: WTB King sousaphone bell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on July 30, 2003 at 22:07:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: WTB King sousaphone bell posted by In Between Size on July 30, 2003 at 21:00:31:

Matt, have you seen a King that's bigger than this? A real 'Jumbo' King that has a bell ring something like the 8-9" of the Conn Jumbo 48K? In looking at a fair amount of King literature, I've not seen mention of anything bigger than the 1270 Giant. Conn literature clearly describes the difference between the Sousaphone Grand 38K/40K (and later 20K) and the Jumbo 42K/48K.

The biggest King sousaphones I've seen have been 1270s. The local high school band director owns one. It looks more like a 38K than anything else, but its a King. It has a 28" bell, but the collar seems very close to that of a 20K. In fact, at a distance you might mistake it for a 20K. While I didn't measure the bell collars exactly, the catalogs say it's 7-1/8". I have looked at the horn side by side with a 1250 King next to it on one side and a Conn 20K on the other. It is clearly bigger than the 1250, and with a wrap that is more Conn-like than I expect from a King. But it's not clearly bigger than a 20K, other that the 28" bell. Close inspection (without a micrometer) suggests the bore is a little bigger. That's consistent with the .734" Conn 20K bore and a .750" bore on the King. (The horn I saw was clearly not a 1250B, because the valves were bigger than 1250 valves and not interchangeable).

Follow Ups: