Re: Wexler Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 31, 2003 at 10:27:28:

In Reply to: Wexler Euphonium posted by Band Parent on July 31, 2003 at 07:12:05:

I didn't find any Wexler euphoniums at the US department of that auction. Only a number of woodwinds.

However I think your doubts may very well be founded.

You probably could find a lot about the term of "stenciling" in the archives, so only these thoughts:

A company does not make brasses, but still wants to market some under their own brand. They contract a maker to deliver instruments, which then are engraved according to their wishes.

This scheme can happen on many quality levels. Some companies just put a fanciful name on pure junk.

Others like Vincent Bach and Holton want to market models, which they don't make themselves. These two companies have their own logos put on student models made by Yamaha. All, almost, in the school music business know about that. And as Yamaha student instruments are well known, this scheme can be considered fair and open.

When I taught brasses, I took up a "tradition" from one of my own teachers: I reserved myself the right to veto the instruments of my students.

Of course within reason. I prefer, for myself, King trombones over those from Bach. Which did not prevent myself from teaching students playing Bach Stradivariuses. And exactly the Yamaha student level instruments in my opinion generally are very relevant tools in an education process.

When I taught within a Christian youth organisation, I had to accept some very bad older Dutch made instruments, if I at all wanted to build a band. As the project despite the bad odds gained some momentum, it was much easier to get better instruments, which speeded up the progression.

What I am trying to tell: Don't go cheap in beginners instrument!

The repair costs may make the experience anything but cheap, but even worse a bad instrument may make the student stop.

The alternative is not to buy an expensive full pro level model. A student would probably consider a YEP641 like my own being far too heavy to lift and too hard to fill.

Get a relevant student model.

Get the help from a competent teacher.

Even a musician gone repairman/vendor can be of great help, as he wants to keep you as a customer. We have good samples among the regular contributor to TubeNet.

Klaus

Follow Ups: