Re: Great Recordings of OUR Orch. Repetiore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on August 01, 2003 at 19:32:53:

In Reply to: Great Recordings of OUR Orch. Repetiore posted by Mike on July 31, 2003 at 21:06:23:

There are tons of great recordings that involve good tuba playing. A good place to start is most anything with the LSO that had John Fletcher on it. Many of the Andre Previn/LSO items on EMI are really good. I also like a lot of Ron Bishop's work from the Lorin Maazel years in Cleveland. Maazel let him play out a bit more. Try their Prokofiev 5th sometime - it's my favorite of any at this point. It's been reissued on DG's Panorama series. Bishop is also great on their Prokofiev "Romeo & Juliet", as well as their "Cinderella". Fletcher excelled on those pieces too. Fletch is awesome on the Previn "Alexander Nevsky".

The guy who plays tuba in the Danish Radio Orchestra really plays out on their complete Mahler cycle for Chandos, with Leif Segerstam conducting. It wouldn't be my first pick for a complete Mahler cycle though, unless I just wanted to focus on little else other than the tuba parts. Still, it's a decent cycle, and it's very well recorded.

For "The Planets", I think Fletch is great on the Previn recording for EMI.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: