Re: tuba valve repairs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 01, 1999 at 20:57:05:

In Reply to: tuba valve repairs posted by tito on June 01, 1999 at 15:08:26:

Cervany factory linkage is noisy. I can't help you right now, but there are some low-cost conversion parts that I use made of black plastic with an adjustable tension screw, drilled brass balls, brass risers, stainless steel all-thread, and black shrink tubing to cover up the ugly all-thread. The finished job looks very professional and is QUIET!!!! --- EVEN WITH HARD NEOPRENE BUMPERS !!! --- (Well, I also made the fit of the bearings on my rotors absolutely perfect, which adds to the "silence".)

I have it on my B&S F, and can pick up the instrument after a month of not playing and it is still quiet, even without fresh oil.

If you still want or need something done about it after October, give me a call, and I will help you.

The parts are only about $20. My labor is another matter. If you are quite handy, I could also sell you the correct drill bit and thread tap to do it yourself. However, if your conversion is not "textbook", you may run into a bad roadblock right in the middle of the job without extra junk laying around, like I have, to make it work right.

Follow Ups: