"German" tubas and mouthpiece issues

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeffrey Chronister on June 04, 1999 at 02:03:34:

Right, let's get down to it, I've been playing a Meinl Weston BBb 4/4 horn, not sure of the model # but probably from the early 70's, and have been using a perantucci #20 (old system probably now called a # 50. I think that these horns tend to be on the bright side and am considering using a Tilz 0 (old # system) instead. I don't want to "bark" or rip sheet metal, and thought this might be the way to go, (along with practicing the darned thing). All in all I think this is a pretty nice horn, the only difficult part is getting the 5th partial notes, D and Eb (in the staff) to play up to pitch, so I've been using fingerings 1and2 for the D, and 2and 3 for the Eb. To me the Rudy's and Mirafone's , and the Weston's all seem to have similar tonal and intonation tendancy's, although the Miraphones may be the best in tune. I realize that those Rubinesque "Jake tones", just might not be possible on this horn, but I think that a nice tone that really projects IS possible. What do you think you Germanic tuba playin fellows?

Thanks for your input,

Jeff Chronister

Follow Ups: