Re: Re: Re: Re: Movie Soundtracks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Will D. on June 08, 1999 at 01:15:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Movie Soundtracks posted by Creedman on June 07, 1999 at 08:49:14:

It is my understanding that John Williams chooses which orchestra to play his music based on the score and the style he is after. If you read the sleeve notes on the soundtrack for "Saving Private Ryan", you will see that Williams choose Boston to do the score due to the resonant sound quality of the hall in Boston.

It would have been sacrilige (in my opinion) to choose any orchestra other than LSO to record the score. I am currently going through a stage where I am preferring the brass sound of the London orchestras particually in the horns. For me, the American horn sound lacks the brilliant, rich quality of the London sound. American player can sometimes sound pretty ragged. Those who doubt me, listen to the new "London Horn Sound" CD.

Being lucky enough to have freelanced in both London and in the States, I can safely say that London players are THE BEST sight readers. It is my understanding that LSO did a majority of the session in one take, you can get much better than that.

Follow Ups: