Just got a BB 686 Cerveny Tuba and more.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryan on June 09, 1999 at 23:12:27:

I just got a 686 Cerveny tuba. It's a really nice tuba for the price ($2,995) and is good for a high school tuba player. The notes just lock right without trying hard at all and they dont bend around. It also gives of a nice full sound for the price (better than the price). The 686 playes just a good or better than most other tubas $500 to $1000 more and even a couple thats a little more.

There are only 3 problems that I found with it. The D on the 3 bar on the staff is way out of tune. However, if you play it with 1,2 fingering it will go back in tune and thats not too bad. The other problem is that on the one I got has some problem with the laqure, they missed a tiny spot on it (its a part where I put my hand on so its going to get worse.), and it also look like there was some dust on the bell when they put the finish on. The last problem that I spotted so far is that the main tuning slide is bent out a bit to much, making it hard to move, I tried bending it back but it didnt work.

I got a new mouthpiece I cant remember the model number, but I know its a JetTone. I used to be on a Conn-Helleberg that was good for awhile, Charli at the Brass Wind told me that if I to a 11/32 drill bit and drilled out the shank that it would be a lot better. Anyways this new mothpiece sounds a lot better, its gives off a darker, smoother, fuller sound. However, I think that the low end by low F is a little harder to hit.

I got my Canadian Brass CD signed by the all of the Canadian Brass members and my stand signed by the tuba guy. :) I saw him testing out tubas and a Cimbassos, that was neat. The tuba guy was playing a tuba with a carbon-fiber bell, you could see through parts of it, it sounded really full and nice. They played this one song based all around the tuba and he did tricks with his tuba like playing while turning it all the way around using the valves! He also pretended that he dropped his tuba on me, that scared me!

Well that all for now.

--ZingZong

Follow Ups: