Re: VMI 3301 or cerevny piggy CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland (oh, HIM again!) :-) on June 12, 1999 at 01:25:23:

In Reply to: VMI 3301 or cerevny piggy CC posted by paul on June 10, 1999 at 12:17:39:

OK, yeah, so I scamper up whenever I see "VMI 3301" or "VMI 3302" in the subject...

For me, the VMI wins. More sound, better clarity, more horn, better tuning, better construction consistency (although "consistency" is a moot point considering that you know exactly what two specimens you're looking at, unlike a blind mail-order shipment). Everybody here knows that I'm biased, 'cuz that's what I bought; actually a 3302, but close enough.

If you buy into the idea that "CC tubas are better for orchestra keys", realize that orchestra gigs are RARE, and you'll probably play in a band -- which I think is more fun anyway. Although the concept of getting paid while sitting out of a Mozart or Beethoven festival is tempting, I'd rather be playing all the time. :-)

For you, Paul, as always, get whichever you like best. Spend as much time as you can with both, in big rooms, with input from any trusted set of ears that happens to walk in.

Everybody chant: "whatever works for you....whatever works for you...."

ommmm....
Leland

Follow Ups: