Re: Using a sousaphone in an orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kelly Yoshida on June 12, 1999 at 01:41:53:

In Reply to: Using a sousaphone in an orchestra posted by Jacob on June 11, 1999 at 23:32:21:

Um... I can give you an example of sousaphones used in a high school concert band: Our high school music program (which will remain nameless :) )was hugely underfunded and was equipped with only two concert tubas, if you could call them that. They were actually what we called "convertibles", that is, convertible for marching, and had all the characteristic dents of a ten-year old marching horn rented out to numerous high school students over the years. Anyway, the problem was, we had five tuba players. Our director was forced to put two of our players on sousaphones, which were many times older than the convertibles (we found a petrified donut in one of them at the end of the year!) and in comparatively worse shape. (I was the fifth and, though second chair, being the sophomore, had last choice of horn. Fortunately my wonderful wonderful parents bought me my own tuba (it was that or a car; guess what I picked!).) In the end, yes, we did have two players on sousaphones for concert band. I found it to be a huge embarrrassment: mostly because of the condition of the horns and the fact that our um, weaker players (having had last pick) were playing right into the audience!

My suggestion: I would stay away from using a sousaphone in an orchestra. If it's for a school orchestra, I'm sure you can pass the word around the district that you need a concert tuba. Even if you're in a tuba desert area like I am, there's always a horn around... Another concern is that a bell-front instrument may overpower the strings and other instruments, unless the tuba player is a little weak of air, then I might suggest a bell-front concert tuba... (though I do not claim as much expertise in this area as others on this board)

The reason you're getting such a shocked reaction is because the symphonic/concert and field-marching realms are considered two very different worlds. Drum corps is probably the only place where the two are emphasized equally, though I'm sure there can be arguments against that...

Anyway, apologies for my long-winded response, but IMHO everyone should have a chance to be taken seriously and their questions addressed. I would hope to be treated in a similar fashion. Speaking for the younger generation who frequents this BBS, I think this board is a wonderful opportunity for students and less-experienced players to have access to the more-experienced professionals and their wealth of knowledge. I ask you, the older generation of professionals, not to discourage kids from the trade and welcome them with a bit of patience and understanding that we all went through that stage.

Respectfully,

Kelly Yoshida

Follow Ups: