Re: Re: What is the oppinion on CC Willison 5/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on June 13, 1999 at 17:15:49:

In Reply to: Re: What is the oppinion on CC Willison 5/4 posted by Joseph Felton on June 13, 1999 at 11:39:37:

In the limited amount of time that I have played on one of these I must say that I have a much different reaction (I played one at the Brasswind and have played a little on Mike Thornton's). If I had the money I would likely own one of these horns. The sound, of course is the first consideration, it is great. As for the intonation on it, I thought that it was very good, I usually do a good deal of slide pulling, but I didn't think that I had to on the Willson. You can boom in the low register, but it seemed to me that the high register sang pretty well. I didn't really have much of a problem up around f's and g's above middle c. The Willsons do seem to be well constructed also. The mouthpiece I played on it was a Bach Megatone 7. This is also what Mr. Thornton uses on it in the Cincinnati Symphony. I don't mean to just be argumentative to the last response, I just had a completely different reaction to it. I believe, for what it is worth, that the Willson tubas are some of the best out there.

--T. J. Ricer

Follow Ups: