Re: Feedback on Yamaha Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan with few pitch problems on June 16, 1999 at 16:04:52:

In Reply to: Feedback on Yamaha Tubas posted by Don on June 13, 1999 at 19:05:11:

I have owned a Yamaha 621F since they started making the little things in the late '80's. I have used a medium sized helleberg style mouthpiece on it for quintets and high, light orchestral passages and a Mirafone C4 for solos and Bydlo. I did try the Symphony Fantastique ONCE on it - it is way to small for the Dies Irae. However, I have never had any pitch problems to speak of, and am surprised to see several others out there did. Maybe my choice of mouthpieces had something to do with it, or maybe my horn was just a better than average one. I did try using a deep (Arnold Jacobs) mouthpiece on it, and did not get good results. I suspect that those who are having trouble with it are using a mouthpiece much too deep for the horn. The 621F seems to be perfect for the Vaughan Williams concerto because of its very accessable low register and sweet high register. I tried an 822C at Brasswind about a year and a half ago and found it to be lacking in warmth as stated by others, the upper register sounded almost metallic to my ears.

Follow Ups: