Re: Re: Re: Tubas for around $2000?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on June 20, 1999 at 09:56:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubas for around $2000? posted by shame on you joe on June 19, 1999 at 23:45:07:

Dear me, a businessman wanting to turn a profit--how scandalous!

Joe's made it plain in other posts that not only is he a musician, but also runs a small music dealership/repair business. So let's look at this from his standpoint.

He bid $1875 on a Miraphone 186-4U in indeterminate condition. Since most eBay sales are final, he took a gamble. From the serial number, this 186 dates back to 1973, and as many a 186 of this era, could have had a rotten leadpipe, bad valves or any number of other ailments arising from age. Joe had to shell out for transportation and his initial cost proably was in the neighborhood of $2000. Admittedly a pretty good deal if the horn is in decent condition, but a disaster if it's not.

He also says that for his asking price, he's willing to do some dent work on the horn. What are your tech's shop rates? Probably no less than $45-50 per hour. Bottom line, is that for $2600, Joe's maybe making a couple of hundred bucks or about 10% on the instrument by selling it for what I think is a pretty decent price. What's wrong with that? Ask any of the dealers with whom the members of this list regularly do business (Custom Music, TE, Brasswind, Dillon, etc.) and I'll bet their markup is in excess of 10%. Yet no one chides THEM.

In short, lighten up. Joe's a businessman and for his trouble is entitled to a profit. I'll bet that anyone who buys his Mirafone will be delighted with it.

Follow Ups: