Re: Any suggestions ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Whitlow on June 21, 1999 at 10:46:32:

In Reply to: Any suggestions ? posted by Mike on June 20, 1999 at 17:55:10:

From a middle (and high school) band director and tuba player's point of view, I hope that your nephew will be "tested" by his new band director to see which instrument best fits him. What is most important is not what you or me or anyone else would like to see him play, but what he will be most successful with. In order for your nephew to have a good experience in band, he needs to play an instrument he enjoys and that "fits" him physically (embouchure, etc.). For example, not everyone was physically designed to play the flute ("tear drop" lip, etc.) successfully. Hopefully, his new band director will take the time to speak with him individually about the instruments he is interested in, let him try several mouthpieces from different instruments, and speak to him honestly about which instrument he might best be suited for. Admittedly, this is a brief answer and doesn't cover all variables, but I hope you consider this point for what little it might be worth. Good luck with your playing and your nephew's future as a musician!

Follow Ups: