Re: Pencerecki Capriccio???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 22, 1999 at 07:56:30:

In Reply to: Pencerecki Capriccio??? posted by Todd Morgan on June 21, 1999 at 20:43:58:

The Penderecki Capriccio was written in 1980 for one of the tubists in Warsaw, some real young (in 1980) hotshot player who's name escapes me. Apparently, he looked at it and didn't like it much so he gave it back to Penderecki who sent it to the tubist in the Vienna Philharmonic (an American from St. Louis, who relayed the story to me in 1984 along with a manuscript copy of the piece). He was talking about doing a solo album and the Capriccio was going to be the centerpiece but that also never came off.

I always found the story of this piece ironic because it really is a wonderful piece of music. If you have the Schott version, you may want to check that you are doing the notes correctly. The version I have from Schott (bought over 10 years ago) had some unconventional notation guidelines which resulted in lots of confusion about certain accidentals. The biggest decision on this piece is which tuba to play it on. I've heard it on both F and CC (my choice) but have always wondered how it would work on an Eb like the Willson I currently have. I guess I'll have to drag that one out again...

Enjoy this wonderful piece of music!

Follow Ups: