Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RANGE OF A TUBA (HELP)!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on June 22, 1999 at 23:58:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RANGE OF A TUBA (HELP)!!! posted by Sean Chisham on June 22, 1999 at 08:32:07:

Whether allowed by acoustical physics or not, they're there, and like I said, I've never heard a tubist play one. I've heard plenty of them from trumpet-type players, and have been able to do them on euph and trombone myself.

It's not tongue-slapping at all, at least for those instruments. It's just playing even lower and centering the sound. Believe it or not, the horn even favors it as a note.

With a big enough mouthpiece, it might be possible to have enough facial mass and excursion distances to play a double pedal on a tuba. If it was ever possible to play a pedal on one of those now-legendary BBBb monsters, that's the same pitch as a double pedal on a BBb -- so it could be done.

Why anyone would want to, I don't know! :) This is the same kind of chest-pounding as trumpet players trying to play higher and higher than the other guy.

Seeya,
Leland
*grunt*

ALSO, about the "pedal E" in Big Apple, is that really the third E below the staff? I remember the low D late in the first movement, but we never got to play the rest; only listened to the CD and got jealous...

Follow Ups: