Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra with two valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LtDan on June 23, 1999 at 18:39:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra with two valves posted by Jeff on June 23, 1999 at 17:17:24:

I've noticed a strange phenomenon with drum corp performances; The individual sound of a bugle player (soloist) is rather bland and unsatisfying, but when he/she is joined by 60 other bugle players, the paint does indeed peel. However, I've also had the occasion to attend concerts by large trombone ensembles (76 trombones perfoming 76 trombones...) and indeed the effect is strilingly similar. I played a bugle long enough to know that I will never pick one up again with the intention of making great music. However, I also played a bugle long enough to know how often a hornline gets harped on to avoid the blatty sound at the beginning of the season and strive for the best personal sound one can attain. By the end of the season, most good corps have eliminated the sore thumbs who stick out in the ensemble, and for some reason they show up again on the night of DCI finals. This comes from a group of young inexperienced players getting the "hype" for the last show ever. Unfortunately, this is also the night that the microphones are on and the tapes are rolling. The bright/blatty sound is imortalized for all to hear, and Johnny comes home from tour and says, "that's me!!!" when he hears the ONE mellophone soaring through the ensemble while listening to the taped performance.

For those of us who are realists, no, drum corps is NOT the CSO, never was, never will be. But for thousands of youngsters it is a musical outlet, and the performance is an outlet of their own personalities and talents. It offers many the opportunity to do what the few can achieve. WHether the outcome is something to aspire to is one's own judgement, but each group, each year, each player, all have different intentions when they pick up the horn.

Follow Ups: