Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Whitlow on July 01, 1999 at 08:11:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: PRACTICE!!! posted by Bryan on July 01, 1999 at 02:10:46:

I am a middle and high school band director. My wife is a middle school agriculture teacher. We take our jobs very seriously and work very hard to ensure success for our students, their schools, and communities. Mediocrity is not in the equation. I chose music education because I always wanted to teach, not because I didn't want to practice my tuba. I assume someone in your life (possibly your band director) inspired you to choose the field you are now studying. It is likely that person's love for what they do and their willingness to work diligently to be successful appealed to you. I don't know. What I do know is that many educators did not choose education in order to get out of work. On the contrary, many educators spend countless hours before school, after school, during lunch, during the summer months, etc. working to improve their students' educational experience. Little, if any, of this time is compensated with another paycheck. You may have never known this because you were not one of the students who needed extra help. But those who did receive a free music lesson(s) after school because they could not afford one on their own are more than aware of this truth. That was a "low blow" to those of us who love teaching and the rewards it offers to students and teachers alike. I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. But I do hope you look at your statement again and consider it from a different point-of-view. Best of luck in all you do!

Follow Ups: