Re: How to Start a 10 Year Aspiring Tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on June 01, 2000 at 22:54:55:

In Reply to: How to Start a 10 Year Aspiring Tubist posted by Joe Lowman on June 01, 2000 at 22:27:14:

FWIW, I started tuba about 3 months before my tenth birthday, at the start of fifth grade. I had begun studying piano at 8, so I already had an understanding of music. The first brass instrument I played was a BBb tuba (albeit 3/4 size). Although I was kind of big for my age, I still had to hold the tuba sideways, with the bell pointing towards the person sitting next to me in order for the mouthpiece to be at the appropriate height. I think I used a smallish Yamaha 66 mouthpiece the first 2 years. I took lessons at the elementary school once a week during the fifth and sixth grade from a teacher whose major was trombone and euphonium, so he had an excellent understanding of low brass and was able to teach me the fundamentals. By the time I was in the middle of the sixth grade, with my newfound passion and daily practice I was already playing at a high school level. By seventh grade, when I would occasionally play with a high school ensemble, the regular tuba players were being teased because of this little kid that was better than them. It was several years later that I learned that I should have started on baritone or euphonium and that I was too young for tuba at the time. Boy, I wish someone had told me!
I am not saying this for the sake of bragging as there are now many, many tubists far, far better than me, just to let you know that ten is definitely not too young to start playing a real BBb or CC tuba if the student has the motivation and is of at least average size for his / her age. A smaller mouthpiece on a smaller horn held sidewars should work fine. If possible, make sure his instructor is a brass major, preferbly low brass. One advantage of the tuba on developing lips and gums is that if taught and played properly, very little pressure at all need be applied to the mouthpiece. This is also good if braces are worn.
I hope this helps, feel free to email me for more info or if you just want to talk about this. I am sure my 2.5 week old son wants to start tuba as soon as possible, even though the only words he now says are 'eh' and 'WAAHH'. Maybe we can just put a 'T' instead of 'W' on the beginning of that last syllable. In another year or two, he should be ready.
Marty 'I now wear Smith & Wesson earplugs when my colicky son screams on my shoulder for hours - a future 6/4 player' Neilan

Follow Ups: