Re: How to Start a 10 Year Aspiring Tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger B on June 02, 2000 at 09:26:29:

In Reply to: How to Start a 10 Year Aspiring Tubist posted by Joe Lowman on June 01, 2000 at 22:27:14:

Joe,

I'm a brass teacher (grades 4-12) in a small school system and always on the lookout for bright kids who have an interest in the tuba. Of course, I try to give them the VIP treatment right up through HS. As a tuba player myself, I actually find it difficult to start tuba players myself because I don't remember "struggling" with the instrument at that age myself, ie, I don't have a great deal of "empathy" for what they are going through - so don't worry about getting an actual tuba player to start him. Do, however, make sure that you get someone who can at least demonstrate good basic tone nad verbalize how to relax the embouchure to produce low notes.
The important thing is for the student to be excited about playing and to be persistent even when the going gets tough. As long as he is made to feel that he is of great value to any playing ensemble, eventually he will be able to play and probably play well.
Regarding starting him on Euphonium, it might be OK, but I start one or two tubas each year who are 9-10 years old, so as long as he has some size, go for it.
Just my thoughts, I hope all goes well. Good luck.
Roger B

Follow Ups: