Customized Cervany 601 CC still for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 04, 2000 at 17:10:25:

Well, my Cervany ACB-601 is still for sale. I've come down considerably in price so if you're in the market for a great 6/4 tuba, this might be your best bet if you have a tight budget. I'll also try and post a link to a picture and hopefully that will work. If you have any questions, or would like to arrange a play test, please don't hesitate to ask. Here are the particulars:

Cervany ACB-601 6/4 CC tuba with 5 valves. I used this tuba professionally with the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra for the last few years on really big orchestral works. Even though the horn is approximately 8 years old, it has seen very limited use because it isn't my primary horn. I really regret selling it but I have purchased a much more expensive tuba (Nirschl York Copy) to replace it. The added 5th valve is all factory parts and makes a flat whole step (not the half step configuration available on new models). The work looks absolutely stock. The horn has a couple of extremely small dents, hardly noticable, and overall this horn is in like new condition! CUSTOM WORK includes having the valves and valve ports scooped out to match the .835" bore of the horn, valve linkage replaced with new quieter and faster linkage, & solid strips of wire (3/8" half round) soldered inside the bell and on the top and bottom bows to darken and add core to its sound (modifications suggested by Don Harry, who had one of these tubas himself). The tuba also has a main tuning slide stick for adjusting pitch during play, eliminating the need to pull the individual valve slides. The tuba plays very well in tune so very few notes require adjusting. The lacquer finish is stripped off to the raw brass. The sound is VERY large, like an oversized Rudy Meinl 5/4. This horn PROJECTS LIKE CRAZY with a big germanic sound. If you're looking for a Yorkbrunner or similar style instrument, but don't have the approximately $15,000 to spend, this tuba is your answer! The current Brasswind catalog lists this horn new at $5195 and I've spent over $2000 on the customization. This horn plays much better than any new one you could buy and I'm including an extra BRAND NEW nickel leadpipe with this purchase. Please help me find a good home for this wonderful tuba. No case, gig bag, or mouthpiece included with this tuba. I'm asking $5500.00 and I'll work out the shipping costs with the buyer.

Follow Ups: