Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs Poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on June 06, 2000 at 10:28:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arnold Jacobs Poll posted by Dale on June 05, 2000 at 23:28:10:

True, but it was an early example of current practice. It was a cattle call (fewer cattle than now - about 50 - all in one day). All prelims were held behind a screen. Six semi-finalists were chosen to play that evening. The screen was removed at the semifinal level. The six were narrowed to two, and the rest is history. Chester prevailed with a great sound, phenominal accuracy, and supreme self confidence.

On the other hand, around that same period, there was a very well known woodwind player, who after a highly distinguished career, retired to a University post. After several years in academe, he let it be known that he longed for the old life. A conductor under whom he'd worked had a principal chair open in his orchestra, but union and orchestra protocols required a cattle call, and it was all screened right up to the last finalist.

The conductor said, "Don't worry, I know your playing better than I know myself. I'll pick you out from the rest. No problem."

The conductor's learned choice? A youngster, still in school, a pupil of the very player.

Mr. Jacobs knew his worth, but he was highly realistic about the profession. He knew auditions were a crap shoot, and that professional success had as much to do with luck and timing, as with talent and ability.

Follow Ups: