Re: Suggestions on a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russell Diggins on June 07, 2000 at 23:15:54:

In Reply to: Suggestions on a Tuba posted by Big Steve on June 07, 2000 at 22:02:28:

Big Steve,

As a college student who recently purchased a new horn (5 valve, CC) I understand your predicament. I will tell you which horns I looked at, which I purchased and why. Before I give my two cents, there are a number of things that you need to be aware of.

First, and most importantly, you need to select the type of horn that is right for YOU. I am not saying ignore respectable opinions, but you need to get out and play the horns before you make a decision. I am not sure where you are located, but there are a few places around the country to do this. I am from the midwest, maybe some other tubenetter can name some stores in the other parts of the country. Custom Music in Detroit and The Woodwind/Brasswind in South Bend, IN are the two midwestern stores that I visited.
First of all, don't count out a used horn. There are some very fine used tubas out there at bargain prices, but as I will discuss below, make sure you play the instrument.

Find a place with many different models and plan to spend the day there trying horns. Bring along some music (solos, etudes etc.) so you have something to play. Don't just sit and play scales and arpeggios; try many different styles. If you have a fellow tuba player that can accompany you on the trip, it helps. He can listen to you play and he can also play the horns for you, so you can get a different viewpoint. Go back and forth as you narrow down your choices. This may seem a bit extreme, but for the amount of money that you are about to spend, its good to be sure.

Are you studying privately? What does your teacher recommend? You did mention your plans for college. If you know where you plan to attend, it might be a good idea to get some advice from the tuba prof there. Ask for opinions. You will get quite a few suggestions here on the tube net (I know I did) and helping younger players like you and me is one of the great advantages to this site. (thanks sean!) But regardless, make sure that you get out and play as many different horns as possible.

Much of what is above is advice that I recieved when I was asking your questions. Take these opinions for just that; opinions. As far as my tuba shopping, I played and played and finally narrowed it down to two models; The Miraphone (or Mirafone, depending on who you talk to) 188 CC and the B&S PT-4 CC (I belive the PT-4 has been tweaked and the new model is called the PT-20 - anyone know?). The PT-4 is more expensive than the 188, but after trying them both, I chose the PT-4. These would be two horns that I would definately recommend trying. Unfortunately, the B&S line is only available through Custom Music in Detroit, so that would depend on your location.

Remember, almost everything in this post is opinion meant to help you along. You alone, by way of trying many different horns, can make the final decision.

I hope that this rambling monster of a post has helped a little. Good luck in shopping and in your musical future!

Russell Diggins
Minnesota

Follow Ups: