Re: Top 5 List - "Essentials"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on June 11, 2000 at 20:28:06:

In Reply to: Top 5 List - "Essentials" posted by Roger B on June 07, 2000 at 12:27:07:

--Vaughan Williams (the jury is still out for my as to whether to do this on CC or Eb, but the fact that at the moment I'm playing on a student line 4 valve Eb probably isn't helping the bass tuba cause. . . gotta get my hands on the Nirschl soon. . . )
--Alec Wilder's Effie (probably makes the most sense on a bass tuba, but I learned it on BBb in High School and then on CC in college and I'll be darned if I'm going to learn the opening lick to "chases a monkey" on another horn)
--Gregson Tuba Concerto (I think it's just as good as the Vaughan Williams, just different perhaps best on a CC. . . but nice on Eb as well, haven't decided yet, played it on both, and BBb now that I think of it)
--Strauss Horn Concerto #1 (this lies well on all four keys of tuba and sounds better than it does on horn. . . probably best on Eb tuba (it's in Eb)but very nice on BBb)
--Hindemith (needs to be in your rep for historic signifigance if nothing else, don't do it with a less than wonderful accompanist. . . I think it's much better on CC that bass tuba)

--T. J.
ps. this list is always changing, this is just what I think as I'm sitting at my computer now

Follow Ups: