Re: Fluency on different keyed tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave T. on June 11, 2000 at 20:58:27:

In Reply to: Fluency on different keyed tubas posted by Bill Burdick on June 11, 2000 at 18:41:23:

On a daily basis, I play an EEb Willson, a CC Conn and a BBb Conn 20k sousaphone in the Navy. In my circumstance, I seem to play the same music with the same horn, and in that respect, it's not that difficult. I'll play the sousaphone for ceremonies which usually contain our marches (King Cotton, Standard of St. George, et. al.). Once I pick up that ceremonial flip folder wearing a sousaphone, my brain automatically shifts to BBb fingerings without even thinking about it. I played the EEb exclusively in Quintet before purchasing my Conn, so I automatically think in EEb when looking out of that folder. I'm in the process of relearning that folder on CC which is taking some time. I used a CC for sit-down "all hands" shows usually of the patriotic variety type. Etudes are a different story however. I can whip through Kopprasch on any of the above mentioned horns and can sight read fluently with any of the horns. Problems seem to arise after learning and performing extensively a piece on one horn then making a switch.

A lot of times, the mere feel and size of a horn is enough for one to switch to the correct frame of mind (i.e. switching between a sousaphone, a small Eb or F, and a big CC). Oftentimes however, I find myself looking at what's in my lap to remember what I'm playing!

Follow Ups: