Re: Re: PLEASE FRIENDS, READ THIS(?? on future)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 12, 2000 at 09:36:31:

In Reply to: Re: PLEASE FRIENDS, READ THIS(?? on future) posted by Matt Walters on June 11, 2000 at 21:22:09:

Here's my favorite: "What should you do for a living? If you have to ask, it's not that."

Some people seem to be compelled to fulfill a destiny. These people are often prodigies in that arena. But even then it doesn't always work out that way.

I always wanted to be an architect. I read about the great architects and the great edifices. I drew detailed drawings of them. I asked for drafting tools for Christmas. I learned mechanical perspective at age 8. You know what? I burned out on it as a junior in college and switched (after a tour through other topics) to engineering. It may not seem that different, but it is.

Why did I change? Because architecture in my teenage mind wasn't architecture in the real world.

If you are compelled to follow a particular course, you won't need to ask our opinion. You'll already have your answer. But be prepared to change your mind. If you are not compelled, then learn about everything. A broad education is better than a specialized education; specialization builds on that broad foundation. Give yourself some time.

Rick "Forgets how to do mechanical perspectives" Denney

Follow Ups: