Re: Besson tubas for Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Szkutko on June 12, 2000 at 23:27:11:

In Reply to: Besson tubas for Brass Band posted by Joel on June 12, 2000 at 11:12:32:

The Besson 983 and 993 front action horns are an excellent way to go. Take your own preference between the EEb front action and upright action, in my experience the blowing factor is the same. I prefer the front action horn as it's more comfortable to play with.

With the BBb tubas, go the 993. I had a very brief opportunity to play one side by side with my band's 994 upright model. Clearer sound, far easier to blow especially in the lowest range of the horn. Don't get me wrong, the 994 is a great horn, but the 993 is even better. You even have to option of slide adjusting to help cure some intonation problems that occur with BBb tubas. Plus, in my opinion, they are more comfortable to play with that the upright model.

It's all a subjective matter about what tubas to use. You mentioned Bessons specifically and you can't go wrong with them. The only thing I have to say about manufacturing quality, is that in any business, there is always something that goes wrong. No one's fault in particular, just one of those things. In the case of Boosey and Hawkes (Besson) they produce so many more instruments than most others, that they have more "boobs" than other manufacturers.

My 983 was a boob (plays great now after warranty fixing), but my 4 year old 994 is as good as ever. Another guy in another band had major problems with his 994, but the Eb's in his band were great. Hey, even Hirsbrunner creates the odd boob.

Besson front action Sovereigns, go for it! If you can, test them out first and check every solder joint.

Good luck

John Szkutko

Follow Ups: