Re: Check The Archives for Pete's Sake!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on June 13, 2000 at 21:58:31:

In Reply to: Check The Archives for Pete's Sake! posted by MG on June 13, 2000 at 21:02:58:

I'll save many others and be the one to stick my neck out on this one.
It seems we are becoming a ruder and more impatient society. Just because a person writes a post to a BBS or an e-mail doesn't mean other people should have to drop what they are doing to save them the effort of searching for their own answers. No longer do people ask for sources where they can go to learn on their own. Now it seems we want only the answers to the specific questions. Never mind learning a bit about the subject. So when you ask a learned person a question of a topic in which he or she may have considerable expertise, the correct response to you will usually be, "Well that depends". i.e. "Should I buy a BBb or CC tuba?"
So when a person new to the world of tuba (such as a middle or high school student) asks a question that has been asked a hundred times before, it is only out of kindness that others take the time to respond. When it is obvious someome is just being lazy by the questions they ask, is it wrong for them to be ignored? No. As an example from a book called EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, there is the story that the kids who can fit in, will take the time to see how the game is being played before joining in. The kid who just jumps in and grabs the toys doesn't make any friends.
There are some helpfull people who can be very generous here. But nobody on this BBS owes you anything.
Thank you Sean for a fine site that talks about Tubas and Euphoniums.
Matt

Follow Ups: