Re: Re: Cost of re-laquering a Yamaha YBB-321?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on June 15, 2000 at 07:49:01:

In Reply to: Re: Cost of re-laquering a Yamaha YBB-321? posted by Dale on June 14, 2000 at 19:34:44:

Polishing and lacquering a horn is not as easy as it sounds. If you don't remove the dents correctly, or polish with the right compounds in the right order in the right direction, the instrument will look worse than it did originally. Lacquer in a spray can is used for spot lacquering at best, not the entire horn.

If you're concerned enough about the looks of your instrument to get it re-lacquered, take it to a reputable repair shop and have it done correctly. The price range will be between $1500 (cheap) to $2500 (expensive). My professional experience with shops who do brass beds as well as instruments is not good. Use a shop that has a good reputation or who will send your horn out to a shop with a good reputation.

As far as "damage," the process of removing dents, releasing tension built up in joints and braces, and realigning tubing will do more to change (read "improve") the characteristics of your tuba than polishing and relacquering will. The relative merits of different finishes or lack thereof have been debated here in the past, but, anecdotal evidence aside, I still think the air inside the instrument makes the music, not the .025" thick brass walls of the horn.

My professional opinion, for what it's worth, which is actually $60 per hour.

Follow Ups: