Re: Re: Who is he?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on June 16, 2000 at 07:46:31:

In Reply to: Re: Who is he? posted by Andy Rummel on June 16, 2000 at 07:29:24:

Gail Roberson and Carmen Russo, euphoniums [or is it euphonia, you linguistic types?], and Willie Clark and Patrick Glynn, tubas, constitute the Tubafours, formerly known as the Boardwalk Belltones.

This ensemble had been appearing full time at Disney World for a number of years. Imagine--a FULL-TIME TUBA-EUPH QUARTET GIG! They were laid off a number of months ago (along with the elimination of the Main Street Marching Band that Walt Disney himself loved--a stroke of adminstrative wisdom, I suppose). But I understand that they're back part-time; can anyone confirm?

The Tuba 4's CD, "Tubas Under the Boardwalk," is one of the most entertaining recordings by any small instrumental ensemble, low brass or otherwise. All pop music, with most arrangements penned by Gail. Amazingly, most of what you hear on the CD are first takes--all live with no editing or overdubbing. They shoulda had a live audience!!!

A few months ago, I participated in a workshop that the Tuba 4's presented at South Suburban College in the Chicago area. Their performances were admirable, and their personalities were very congenial--what more could Disney want to greet and delight their guests? Willie Clark's mother was in attendance, and he serenaded her with the group's rendition of the Temptations' "My Girl." It's on the CD--get it!

Follow Ups: