Re: Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 16, 2000 at 12:21:07:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece posted by Tim Chen on June 16, 2000 at 09:57:21:

F tuba is halfway towards a euphonium, and I don't use the same rim on my euphonium that I use on my CC tuba. Soprano clarinetists and alto saxophonists do not try to make their mouthpieces that they use on bass clarinets or baritone saxophones have the shame shape as their "regular axe" mouthpieces. The "same rim syndrome" is a neurosis, and I welcome attacks from those who disagree with me on this (WATCH OUT! ;^).

If you have not settled on a mouthpiece, why not try several (perhaps with some good guidance)? Give each one at least a couple of months, and force yourself to make some black and white judgements regarding the good things about X mouthpiece vs. the negative things about X mouthpiece before trying another.

Mouthpieces ARE expensive, but certainly re-sellable on eBay. A fist full of professional tuba mouthpieces once bought, played, and handled with care, are still like new. A fist full of professional oboe reeds (by contrast) once played for two weeks each are "toast" - and COST MORE than the fist full of tuba mouthpieces.

I wouldn't recommend allowing "the perfect mouthpiece" to become a Quixotic fixation, as some do.

On the other hand, I am PERSONALLY guilty of doing JUST THAT with CC tubas. ;^/

Follow Ups: