Re: HB-2 vs. Yorkbrunner - tune & tone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on June 16, 2000 at 17:01:05:

In Reply to: HB-2 vs. Yorkbrunner - tune & tone posted by Curious George on June 16, 2000 at 16:22:09:

I actually just sold my HB-21 to purchase a Yorkbrunner. The Yorkbrunners I have played have had better intonation than my HB-21. My old horn had a very sharp 6th partial and an Eb below the staff that was challenging to bring the pitch up on. It was a pretty good horn, but just not exactly what I was after. I kept it though, because I was counciled over and over that the 4/4 horns are better for military band auditions. I believe the counciling was very wise.

As far as tone quality, I find the Yorkbrunner to have a more diverse palate of color. Of course, any horn can be made to have many many sounds, but it is much easier on the Yorkbrunner. The Yorkbrunner is very efficient and responsive instrument. It is an absolute dream to play.

The HB-2P seems to have better intonation tendencies than any of the HB-21's I have played. It is the horn with the loop in the leadpipe and 5 valves. Along side it would be the HB-1P. This one doesn't have a 5th valve though. I have played on about 3 different HB-1P's and would have to say that these are the most responsive and best sounding 4/4's out there. The prices are reasonable on the used ones because everyone wants 5 valves. For $6000-$8000 these can be found and are worth every penny. Once I recover from the sticker shock of investing in my Yorkbrunner, and buy the wife a few things to call it even, I will probably be seeking one of these out for myself.

sean chisham

Follow Ups: