More Disney muisc discussion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on June 18, 2000 at 22:15:34:

I thought I would like to add a few more comments concerning the Disney music discussion we had further down the BBS, and I thought more people might see it if I put it at the top.

Anyway I was watching "The wonderful world of D...." this evening with my kids and it seems that the big D is going the way of all the recording industry in their emphasis on teeny bopper music. They had many commercials promoting groups like In Sync and other pop teen aged singers whose names I can not remember now. They seem to be having big concerts at the theme parks and seem to be changing their whole musical entertainment approach; Moving away from "band instrument" types of music and going more towards the "pop" stuff. It sure is a shame that they feel they have to market to 13 year olds instead of the parents who take their 13 year olds to the parks. Not that I have anything against any of you 13 year olds out there. Its just that that style of music is so prevelant wherever you go nowadays. Disney used to have some great groups, ei. the Main Street Band, the Tubadours, The Future World Brass, The Future Corps, The "Extras" ensemble (a sax quintet with a soprano down to bass saxes!) and many others. I hope they don't cut the "Voices of Liberty" (an acapella vocal ensemble at Epcot). I guess they are just mirroring society in general.

On one hand they say they want to promote music education by providing performance opportunities and clinics and master classes, etc. for the HS bands, but then they don't provide any professional examples for those HS kids to see and emulate.

Here's one for you..How long do you think band music will survive even in public schools? Being an elementary band director I often wonder about this.

Sorry to ramble on ad nauseum, I guess I'm just in one of those moods this eveing....
BTW, a little trivia...Did you know that Walt Disney was afraid of mice!

Ken "pining for the good old days" K.

Follow Ups: