Re: A relevant question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on June 19, 2000 at 12:12:45:

In Reply to: A relevant question posted by Jason on June 17, 2000 at 20:54:47:

My $.02 on playing 2nd trombone parts on tuba.

Most of the time I take the trombone part down an octave because I feel that puts me in the correct register of my instrument, the register the composer/arranger intended.

For example, let's say your part has a written middle C (1st ledger line above the staff). If you play that note on trombone (as Joe S suggested) you'll be in the middle register. Look at the 1st bone part and you may find that your middle C is meant to blend with whatever they're doing.

But if you play that written middle C on tuba, you're getting into a register that is very "live" on a lot of horns. You will probably have to be very careful not to stick out too much, especially if your intention is to blend well with the 1st bone, organ or anybody else.

Of course there will be exceptions, this is just the general guideline I use. If playing the written register works musically, I play it. If it's a really big piece, and playing some phrases in the pedal register makes musical sense, I play it that way. Choose the register that works best with what's going on around you. Use your taste and judgement to make good music.

And, a final thought . . . the congregation doesn't come to church to listen to the tuba player, at least not in any denomination I know about!

Good luck and have fun,
Dennis

Follow Ups: